This is a way of grouping students so that they can share, discuss, and reflect their opinions and perspectives on a topic. First, students are to pair up. Once paired up, the teacher will explain what the students will discuss and reflect on with their partner within a given amount of time. Once the time is up, each pair will join up with another pair to form a group of four. Within these new groups, students will be asked to discuss further on the topic for a given amount of time. Once that time is up, all the students will get into a circle to form one big group where they can share with the entire class what they discussed in their smaller groups.
- Students get to first work individually before joining a larger group
- Ideas can grow
- Sharing of opinions
- Students can build off of each other
- Students will see where they need more understanding of the topic
- Students don’t have to sit in a circle. When sharing as a whole, students can just sit at their desks.
- Can be used to discuss anything
- Teacher can use the discussion as an assessment of students understanding.
- Each group may be assigned a different aspect of the topic to discuss.
- Ater the pairs and groups share with each other, provide a new aspect of the topic to discuss.